What and Where:
Chuck E. Cheese | 2655 Oak Valley Dr. | Ann Arbor, MI 48103 (734) 222-1003
Ratings (1=terrible, 5=mind-blowingly great)
Price (1=super cheap, 5=super expensive): 3.5
Value: 1 (though see below)
General vibe: between 1 and 5 (see below)
Comments (as of 2/19/06)
- Every once in a while, especially when the weather is bad and/or when Will is having a wee bit of “cabin fever,” Annette or I (and it is more often than not me) take Will and/or his friends to Chuck E. Cheese. It’s sort of a restaurant and we went this on Saturday, so I thought I’d offer this review.
- Obviously, no adult would go here without children. Though one of my neighbors told me a funny story about how she took her sister there on her 21st birthday. The newly legal to get drunk anywhere sibling was not amused.
- I actually don’t mind the pizza, much in the same way that I don’t mind a hamburger from MacDonald’s once in a while. It’s not real pizza, but, for someone like me who grew up in suburban/strip mall America, it is oddly comforting, like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. They have a salad bar and other food at CEC, but I have no idea as to why you would even think about eating these items.
- Chuck E. Cheese is amusingly staffed with surly teenagers/early 20-somethings. I can’t imagine what the “manager” in one of these places looks like. And God help the poor sap who draws the short straw and then has to get into that damned rat costume– some dumb-ass might make you hold up a can of beans.
- The vibe of CEC depends. Chuck E. Cheese is essentially a kiddie version of Las Vegas, and my impression is that one’s feelings toward “sin city” are exactly the same as one’s feelings toward CEC. We’re itchin’ to get back to Vegas, so the Cheese is okay with us. Actually (and strangely), I find Chuck E. Cheese a pretty easy place to read, grade papers, check my email, etc.
- For the “under 10” age group though, Chuck E. Cheese seems to universally be the equivalent of crack.
- At face-value, is an extremely poor value. The food is over-priced as are the tokens to play various games and win various completely worthless tickets. On the other hand, it often is a small price to pay to entertain the boy for a couple of hours.